Friday, December 30, 2011

From the Shelves: Bilora Bella 3C

Bilora Bella 3C
     Most of my cameras, and I have a TON of them, came from junk stores, antique shops, vintage malls, or thrift stores.  I found this Bilora Bella 3C at a chain thrift store several years ago.  As usual, I knew nothing about the make, but I recognized that it was an awesome looking camera.  I did my usual checks in the store before buying it:  Does the lens look ok?  Do all the parts seem to be intact, inside and out?  Does the back fit somewhat snugly?  Does the shutter work?  Will I be able to make or buy film for it?  This one checked out on all fronts.
     So what did I end up with?  I had a pretty funny looking, simple camera in a grey vinyl case.  The lens has an adjustable focus with 6 settings for 3.5 ft (or 3,5 since it's German),5 ft, 6ft, 10ft, 16 ft, and ∞.  There are two aperture settings: 8 & 11.  There are shutter speeds for 1/50 s, 1/100 s, and a bulb setting.  The back has a very industrial looking latch to keep it in place after loading the camera.  The film advance wheel is huge and awkward and on the left side of the camera (when you're behind it, that is).  The skin is made of ribbed vinyl and the camera feels like it's probably nearly indestructible.  There is a flash shoe, and a PC socket on the side of the lens.  A bright red label that says "SYNCHRO-FLASH" reminds one that this camera can do it all.
     Time to test it, right?  Right.
     I loaded it up with my go-to 127 format film, Efke 127 R100, which you can find all over the internet.  I buy it from Freestyle because I like those guys.  Unfortunately the price has more than doubled in the last few years, probably due to decline in demand.  We're looking at about $10 per roll now.  I like the Efke film, but it's only in B&W, so if you want color you'll have to look elsewhere.  Frugal Photographer has color film.  You won't get any if you're really frugal though.  If you're really adventurous you will make your own...  I plan on writing about this later.
     I was pretty satisfied when I started walking around Seattle, shooting some photos with my Bella.  It's one of those cameras!  You know what I'm talking about, right?  The ones that have such pleasing shutter sounds that you end up plowing through film just so you can keep hearing that noise.  Perhaps I need to make a list of the cameras I have encountered with the best shutter sounds.  The Bella is one of them, no question.
     After I finished my roll I took it to be developed at my favorite lab.  I had them scan the negatives, which are 4x6cm frames, since I, sadly, do not have a scanner myself.  I found that this camera has a major quirk!  I'm not going to call it a fault, because I'm quite fond of it, but it apparently warps the film as you advance.  Here are the best shots from my first roll.

California/Oregon Border
Taken with Bilora Bella 3c on Efke 127 R100

Future Light Rail Site Art Installation
Taken with Bilora Bella 3c on Efke 127 R100

Chocolate Pigs
Taken with Bilora Bella 3c on Efke 127 R100

Cal Anderson Reservoir
Taken with Bilora Bella 3c on Efke 127 R100

     As a funny coincidence, I had written this post two weeks ago and didn't have time to post because of the holiday shopping and celebrations.  For Christmas I received a Bilora Bella 46, which is a slightly newer, updated version of the 3C.  I see no physical differences except for the style of the case and the fact that the aperture settings changed from 8 & 11 to "DULL" & "BRIGHT."  Thanks for the new toy, mom.  We'll see how this one works!

No comments:

Post a Comment