Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mobile Update: A Person

     Is this the beginning of a new era for me?  I was reading an article in Hipstamatic's Snap Magazine recently.  It was written by a guy who apparently is enjoying Hipstafame due to his street photography.  It was nice stuff, I have to admit.  I always admire people who are good at this style of photography.  I feel like it's not difficult to end up with nice looking photos with interesting subjects and good lighting by wandering around a city taking photos of people, but I think the courage it takes to do this is very impressive.  I have a tough time taking photos of any people at all, so I was very curious to hear what this writer had to say.  He had some very good tips for getting into street photography and had several pointers for ways of getting away with snapping photos of people who may not want you to do so.  It still scares me to death, but I decided to give it a try 20 minutes after reading the article using the writer's waist level rapid snapshot method.  It makes complete sense, but if you aren't holding the camera (iPhone in this case) up to your face and pointing it directly at somebody else they will have no idea you're taking photos.  I held the phone in front of my stomach in a very awkward but believably inert position and held down the volume + button as I passed by people.  None of my photos turned out very good, but with some practice I feel I can get this down until I can become brave enough to brashly brandish my lens and let people react how they will.  I seriously doubt I'll become this brazen, but I will talk a big game.  For now, check it out!  A random lady!  Yawning!

Streetz Photography
Taken with iPhone

     If you want to check this article out, it's in the November 2012 Foodie edition.  The article is entitled "Mobile Photography Master".

No comments:

Post a Comment