Saturday, April 20, 2013

From The Shelves: Kodak Six-20

     I know I post all kinds of random things on here from one of my many ridiculous "series".  Probably the toughest for me to word and present are the ones where I pull an old camera off my shelves and try to revive it for a short amount of time.  I actually do this quite often - almost every time I take photos, in fact.  The thing I find tough, though, is trying to put my spin on a write-up of a camera that has been written up over and over again when the camera was brand new.  Thinking about this recently I decided I should keep the writing like the camera - simple.  So here I go.
     I have quite a few Kodak folders.  They're fun to shoot with because it's very satisfying to pull it out of the bag, unfold it, set the speed and aperture, and hear that satisfying click of the shutter.  This Kodak Six-20 I found at a vintage market for a few dollars also looks super classy with its art deco exterior and red Kodak logo on the front.  I have only used this camera once, now, because the one time that I respooled some 120 film onto a 620 spool, loaded it in the six-20, and shot the roll I did a little bit of damage.  I think I must have done some shoddy respooling.  I will be able to fix the damage, but lesson learned.  Next time I'll be more careful with the spool work.
     Here's the cheesy photo of the camera I ended up with.  Pardon the awful lighting and background - I took this in the midst of moving so I had to use what I could get easily from my pile of boxes.


     Yikes.  I'll definitely try to take a better photo of that and update this soon.  The film I decided to run through this was one of my go-to B&W films - Kodak 400 TMAX.  I took the camera for a walk in Fremont, around the bridges specifically.  Here's what I ended up with.  Check out the crazy light leaks, most notably that the backing paper text is visible on some.  Weird!









1 comment:

  1. i totally forgot about these! they turned out great, i love the light leaks!

    ReplyDelete